FA CUP 1876-77


Winners: Wanderers

Runners-up: Oxford University

Holders from previous season: Wanderers


First round
11 November 1876105th Regiment3-01st Surrey Rifles 
 not known     
WalkoverBarnes   Old EtoniansScratched
WalkoverCambridge University   High WycombeScratched
11 November 1876Clapham Rovers5-0Reigate Priory 

Birkett, Buchanan, Cazenov,

Hunter, Taylor

4 November 1876Forest School4-1Gresham 
 Crawley 2, Fairclough, Knowles   not known 
4 November 1876Great Marlow2-1Hertfordshire Rangers 
 not known     
WalkoverOxford University   Old SalopiansScratched
8 November 1876Panthers3-0Woodgrange 
 E.Farquharson, others 2     
14 October 1876Pilgrims4-1Ramblers 
 Detmar, Elmslie, T.Letchford, Lloyd   Sang 
4 November 1876Rochester5-0Highbury Union 

G.Blackett, Gramshaw, Praul,

Ramage, own goal

4 November 1876Royal Engineers2-1Old Harrovians 
 Rawson, 1 other   H.Longman 
WalkoverSheffield   TrojansScratched
WalkoverShropshire Wanderers   DruidsScratched
4 November 1876South Norwood4-1Saxons 
 Ram 2, White 2   Sharpe 
WalkoverSouthall   Old WykehamistsScratched
4 November 1876Swifts2-0Reading Hornets 
 Joll, Rawson     
28 October 1876Upton Park7-0Leyton 

Bastard, W.Spreckley, Wild, 

4 others

WalkoverWanderers   Saffron WaldenScratched
ByeQueen's Park, Glasgow     

Second round

9 December 1876Barnes0-1Upton Park 
     not known 
16 December 1876Cambridge University2-1Clapham Rovers 
 Hughes, 1 other   Fox 
29 November 1876Great Marlow1-0Forest School 
14 December 1876Oxford University6-1105th Regiment 
 Hills 2, Vidal 2, Bain, Todd   not known 
9 December 1876Panthers0-1Pilgrims 
16 December 1876Rochester1-0Swifts 
9 December 1876Royal Engineers3-0Shropshire Wanderers 
 Hedley, others 2     
2 December 1876South Norwood0-7Sheffield 
     Owen 5, Cursham, Matthews 
16 December 1876Southall0-6Wanderers 
     not known 
ByeQueen's Park, Glasgow     
Third round
3 February 1877Cambridge University4-0Rochester 
 Hughes 2, Prior, Widnell     
WalkoverOxford University   Queen's Park, GlasgowScratched
20 January 1877Royal Engineers1-0Sheffield 
24 January 1877Upton Park2-2Great Marlow 
 Bastard, Winterbottom   Price, Vardy 
20 January 1877Wanderers3-0Pilgrims 
 Maddison, Wollaston, 1 other     
27 January 1877Great Marlow0-1Upton Park 
     not known 
17 February 1877Cambridge University1-0Royal Engineers 
24 February 1877Oxford University0-0Upton Park 
10 March 1877Upton Park0-1Oxford University 
20 March 1877Wanderers1-0Cambridge UniversityPlayed at Kennington Oval, London
ByeOxford University     
24 March 1877Wanderers2-1Oxford UniversityPlayed at Kennington Oval, London
3,000Lindsay (86), Kenrick (97)   Kinnaird (og - 15)aet


GK: Arthur Kinnaird

FB: Alfred Stratford

FB: William Lindsay

HB: Francis Birley

HB: Frederick Green

FW: Charles Wollaston

FW: Thomas Hughes

FW: Hubert Heron

FW: Henry Wace

FW: Charles Denton

FW: Jarvis Kenrick



GK: Edward Allington

FB: Owen Dunall

FB: William Rawson

HB: Evelyn Waddington

HB: Rev. James Savory

FW: Rev. Philip Fernandez

FW: Edward Hagarty Parry

FW: Henry Otter

FW: Arthur Todd

FW: Arnold Hills

FW: John Bain



Sidney Havell Wright

(Great Marlow FC)


Match Summary

Three sets of brothers played in the match. Francis and Hubert Heron lined up for the Wanderers, while the Etonians' team included Hon. Edward Lyttelton and his brother Hon. Alfred Lyttelton and Albert Meysey-Thompson and his brother Charles.


The latter pair's surname had been simply Thompson until it was changed in 1874, and for the final Albert played under the name Thompson and Charles under the name Meysey. This is the only occasion that two or more pairs of brothers have played in the same FA Cup Final.


Later that year, Francis Birley married Margaret, sister of his team-mate Jarvis Kenrick. The Etonian team also included Julian Sturgis, who had been born in the USA and was the first foreign-born player to appear in the Cup Final (discounting those born to British parents in the British Empire), as well as Arthur Kinnaird, who had captained Wanderers to victory in the 1873 FA Cup Final.


Wanderers began the match with two full-backs, two half-backs and six forwards, while the Etonians opted for one full-back, two half-backs and seven forwards.


Wanderers won the coin toss and chose to start the game defending the Harleyford Road end of The Oval. The crowd was estimated at 3,500, the largest for an FA Cup Final up to that point. The match was played in a strong wind, to the extent that when Frederick Maddison took a corner kick for Wanderers, the gale blew the ball back out of play. The Wanderers dominated the early stages of the game, but the Etonians kept them at bay for around 35 minutes until Charles Wollaston eluded Thompson and passed the ball to John Hawley Edwards, who kicked it narrowly under the crossbar of the Etonians' goal to give Wanderers the lead.


In the second half the Old Etonians had the wind in their favour and had the better of the play. Around five minutes after the interval, a corner kick to the Etonians led to a "scrimmage" (a term in common use at the time to describe a group of players struggling to gain possession of the ball) in front of their opponents' goal, which resulted in the ball and a number of players being forced over the goal-line, uprooting the goalposts in the process.


Modern sources credit the goal to Alexander Bonsor, but contemporary newspaper reports in The Sporting Life and Bell's Life in London do not mention his name, merely noting that the goal was scored "from a scrimmage". Neither team could manage to score another goal, and the game finished with the scores level, meaning that for the second successive season a replay would be needed to determine the winners of the competition.


The replay took place one week later at the same venue. The Wanderers fielded an unchanged team, but the Etonians had to make a number of changes, as Meysey was injured and three other players were unavailable due to other commitments. One of the replacements, Edgar Lubbock, had not long recovered from a bout of illness and was noted as being out of practice, and Kinnaird was still suffering the after-effects of an injury sustained in the original match.


The weather on the day of the match was extremely cold, with the threat of snow. The Etonians began the match playing in a rough manner, and there were also many appeals from the players for handball, which disrupted play.


After around half an hour, the Wanderers' forwards surged towards their opponents' goal and Charles Wollaston got the final kick which sent the ball past goalkeeper Quintin Hogg, one of the replacement players brought in for the replay. Almost immediately afterwards, another massed attack by the Wanderers led to Thomas Hughes doubling the lead.


Soon after half-time, Hawley Edwards, Francis Heron and Jarvis Kenrick combined in a skillful attack and set up Hughes to score his second goal of the game. Although the Wanderers' goalkeeper, W. D. O. Greig, was called into action several times, the Etonians were unable to get the ball past him, and the match finished 3–0 to the Wanderers. The winning team's captain Francis Birley was praised for his performance by the press, as were both Lyttleton brothers for the Etonians.




As occurred each year until 1882, the winning team did not receive the trophy at the stadium on the day of the match, but later in the year at their annual dinner.


In addition to receiving the Cup, the winning team each received a gold medal from the committee of Surrey County Cricket Club. A week after the replay, four of the victorious Wanderers were chosen to represent London in a match against an equivalent team from Sheffield. Despite their presence, the London XI lost the game 6–0.